Coventry Housing Authority

Coventry Housing Authority


Considering renting to a Housing Choice Voucher Participant but you have questions? Here are a few of the most common if you have more concerns please call the Housing Manager Maria Webster at 828-4367

What are the requirements for my unit to be rented to an assisted family?

The unit must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and the rent must fall within HUD Fair Market Rents and market rate comparables.

How do I make a unit available to certificate and voucher holders?

You may call the Housing Manager Maria Webster at 401-828-4367 and have the unit posted on our list of available units. You may also advertise in the newspaper with the phrase “will accept Section 8.” Our families look for those listings.

Who pays the rent?

The tenant pays 30% of his/her monthly income less utilities toward the rent. You collect the tenant’s portion of the rent from the tenant. CHA pays the assistance (difference between the tenant rent and the contracted rent amount) directly to you via direct deposit.

What is the term of the lease contract?

After one year, the term is open-ended as long as the tenant remains eligible and the unit is maintained to Housing Quality Standards. The tenant may vacate with 30-day notice after the first year; however, the landlord must have good cause to terminate the lease and evict the tenant.

What do I do when a certificate or voucher holder is interested in my unit?

Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Landlord screens tenants – you must screen the prospective tenant carefully to ensure you are making a good selection. When one of our families contacts you, we can only certify to you their income eligibility for the program.
  2. Request for Tenancy Approval – When you have selected a tenant, he/she will have a “Request for Tenancy Approval Form” for you to complete. When the tenant submits the form to our office, with a copy of your proposed lease, an inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection. Please note that the utilities must be on for the inspection.
  3. Landlords are required to provide a lead certificate for properties built before 1978.
  4. Inspection and rent – The unit will be inspected to ensure that it meets HUD Housing and Quality Standards. Required repairs and rent amount will be discussed with you by the inspector.
  5. Lease and contract – After the unit passes inspection and the rent has been approved, the landlord and tenant enter into a lease. CHA and the landlord sign a Housing Assistance Payments Contract through which the rent is assisted on behalf of the tenant.

For more information you can contact the Housing Manager Maria Webster at 401-828-4367.